Some interesting things about lost pets...
- The American Humane Association estimates over 10 million dogs and cats are lost or stolen in the U.S. every year.
- One in three pets will become lost at some point during their life.
- A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, including 53 animal shelters across the U.S., confirmed the high rate of return of microchipped dogs and cats to their families, and the importance of microchip registration. From the study:
- Only about 22 percent of lost dogs that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. However, the return-to-owner rate for microchipped dogs was over 52 percent (a 238 percent increase).
- Less than 2 percent of lost cats that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. The return-to-owner rate for microchipped cats was dramatically higher at over 38 percent (more than 2,000 percent better).
- Only 58 percent of the microchipped animals’ microchips had been registered in a database with their pet parent’s contact information.